Tax liability in Germany from options payout from previous employer in UAE

23. November 2019 Thema abonnieren
 Von 
saurabhkhatri
Frischling
(1 Beiträge, 0x hilfreich)
Tax liability in Germany from options payout from previous employer in UAE

Dear Lawyer,

I am an Indian citizen and have been living in Dubai and working with a start up headquartered in Dubai for last 2.5 years. They allocated me some options (vesting over 4 years) at a defined strike price when i joined. The company has been acquired by a larger company and the deal is closing in Jan 2020. My former employer will start a payout for employee options (details below)

Now, I have an offer to join a different company in Germany and I would like to understand:
- What would be my tax obligations in Germany for the payouts for the options granted from my previous employer (details below). I can receive this money into any account worldwide and am happy to choice the one which minimizes my tax obligations.
- If I were to opt for choice 2, and get 75% of the money in January but join the new employer in February will I be liable to pay any tax on the money received in January? I have never worked in Germany before.
- Is there a way I can avoid tax by gifting these to my wife (working in Dubai) or parents (unemployed with no pension, living in India) and getting these payments into their account?

Some detail:
I as a former employee will have two options to take the payout for the options:
Choice 1: To become a shareholder and be entitled to be paid in a mix of cash and notes valued at $X per Careem share. This payment would be made in a staggered manner over 21 months (Jan 2020 ~30%, March 2020, rest in 2021)

Choice 2: Receive one-off payment for all vested options/RSUs on the closing date equal to 75% of deal value.

Haben Sie sich versteuert?

Haben Sie sich versteuert?

Ein erfahrener Anwalt im Steuerrecht gibt Ihnen eine vertrauliche kostenlose Einschätzung!
Ein erfahrener Anwalt im Steuerrecht gibt Ihnen eine vertrauliche kostenlose Einschätzung!
Kostenlose Einschätzung starten Kostenlose Einschätzung starten

Jetzt Anwalt dazuholen.

Für 60€ beurteilt einer unserer Partneranwälte diese Sache.

• Antwort vom Anwalt
  • Innerhalb 24 Stunden
  • Nicht zufrieden? Geld zurück!
  • Top Bewertungen
Ja, jetzt Anwalt dazuholen