Shoplifting - foreigner

24. September 2009 Thema abonnieren
 Von 
bianca.janine
Frischling
(5 Beiträge, 1x hilfreich)
Shoplifting - foreigner

Hi everyone.
I'm sorry that I'm not (yet) able to write in German, but hopefully someone will understand English and try to understand my question.
So, I was caught shoplifting last month. First time. It was stupid of me, I know. I regret it now, but what's done it's done. I confessed the guilt and "cooperated" (if you may say that) with the police. I got my fingerprints and photo taken. It was a nightmare. Felt like the last person on Earth... a criminal...
So I received a few days ago a letter from the police with a fine. Since I don't speak (just a very little bit) German, I had to go online and try to translate the letter. And I understood the fine part (Geldstrafe). I don't understand though how did they get to the Tagessaetze. it was 25. So 25 multiplied by 15 is 375 euros. A lot for me. I am an international student here in Germany. I haven't told anyone about this because I'm too ashamed...
I went the second day to the Amtsgericht to pay it and just get it over with. I thought you might receive some type of discount if you pay early. They said that I have to wait for another envelope (nobody speaks English there, so it was very difficult... uh...) and the fine would be even bigger.
Can someone tell me how did they got to that amount? I mean, I was not opposing anything, I admitted my guilt.. in written (I've received a paper from the Police in my mother tongue and I had to sign it.
I am kind of scared because I don't want this thing to get out to any of my friends or family.
I couldn't manage to ask too many questions at the Amtsgericht since I don't speak German and the ladies there didn't speak any English (and they were pretty rude with me when I asked for someone who speaks English).

Many thanks,
Bi

-----------------
""

Notfall oder generelle Fragen?

Notfall oder generelle Fragen?

Ein erfahrener Anwalt gibt Ihnen eine vertrauliche kostenlose Einschätzung!
Ein erfahrener Anwalt gibt Ihnen eine vertrauliche kostenlose Einschätzung!
Kostenlose Einschätzung starten Kostenlose Einschätzung starten

23 Antworten
Sortierung:
 Von 
muemmel
Unbeschreiblich
(32869 Beiträge, 17264x hilfreich)

Hi,

how to come on the amount of the Tagessatz: Take your income per month and divide it trough 30 Days - so you get the dayrate, what ist the meaning of Tagessatz. So they think, your income is 15*30=450 Euro per month. This is not more than you have, i guess. And the number of Tagessatz, 25, is also okay for shoplifting.
You do not get a discount for paying quick. Normally you get after 3 weeks or so a letter from the Staatsanwaltschaft. There they tell you where it is to pay. If you do not have the whole amount, you can apply for paying in rates (usually at least 30 Euros per month).
And - why you are scared that your friends or family get this? How should they? They are not able to check the german sentence register (Bundeszentralregister)...

Greetings from mümmel

-----------------
" "

4x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
bianca.janine
Frischling

Hi.
I am afraid that some day it may come out, although I asked the police officer if this crime will appear somewhere and he said that only if I have to go to jail (brrr.. God forbid!) it will be in my records. Otherwise it will only appear in their records. And so I assume it will appear in my criminal records anyhow? or? I am asking this because when you get employed (back home) they ask for your criminal records as well... is it the case in Germany as well? I am a student now (thus unemployed) but who knows...
another question, any idea how can I ask to pay in installments (monthly rate)? whom should I talk to? I can pay 100/month or so.
Many thanks for your prompt response!

Regards,
Bi

-----------------
""

1x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
Snoop Pooper Scoop
Student
(2858 Beiträge, 1121x hilfreich)

quote:
when you get employed (back home) they ask for your criminal records as well

Anything below 91 Tagessätze will not appear on your criminal record (that's produced for outside parties), though the info will remain in the files of the police.

quote:
So they think, your income is 15*30=450 Euro per month.

That's already not much; the lower bound typically is 600 EUR/month, i.e. a daily income of 20 EUR. Getting 15 was lucky, I guess.

-----------------
""

1x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
muemmel
Unbeschreiblich
(32869 Beiträge, 17264x hilfreich)

Hi,

1. Mostly people here are scared that a sentence goes down in their Führungszeugnis (firms often ask applicants for this). Your sentence do not go into the Führungszeugnis, as long as this is your only sentence. It is only registererd in a special register for police- and justice purposes.
2. I told you about that - you get a letter from the Staatsanwaltschaft. There they tell you to pay, but it also contains the application form for monthly rates. It would be useful to ask a german friend to help you with the form. Important: You have to transfer the first rate at the same time you send the application (to show your goodwill).

Greetings from mümmel

-----------------
" "

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
bianca.janine
Frischling

Thanks a million guys.
I appreciate your time!

All the best,
Bianca.

-----------------
""

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
DanielB
Bachelor
(3291 Beiträge, 410x hilfreich)

I doubt the conditions for taking photos and fingerprints were fulfilled in this case. This can usually only be justified for worse crimes than shoplifting or if the shoplifter was caught more than once. I guess it would be a little bit complicated to convince the police yourself to delete them, but the state privacy commissioner would help you (without taking any money). Here is a list of them for all 16 states.

-----------------
" "

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
bianca.janine
Frischling

Are you serious Daniel? Hm, now that is interesting. At first I though they just want to "teach me a lesson" and scare the hell out of me, but then I got fingerprinted and all the story.
I just want to put this behind me and if asking them (the police) to erase my photos and fingerprints can lead to some other type of conflict between me and "them" I'd rather not do it. I begin to think I've cultivated a phobia towards police officers. I still can't get thing though out of my head: some day this will come out somehow. So your idea with having my photos erased sounds like a good action-plan.

Thanks,
Bianca

-----------------
""

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
DanielB
Bachelor
(3291 Beiträge, 410x hilfreich)

Are you serious Daniel? Hm, now that is interesting. At first I though they just want to "teach me a lesson" and scare the hell out of me, but then I got fingerprinted and all the story.
I guess that was just their intent. And yes I am serious: The police in Hamburg wanted photos and fingerprints for unlawful entry in two cases. My appeal against that was successful, so they didn't get them. I was also successful in forcing the Frankfurt police to delete some data about me, they had marked me as a violent left-wing activist at the German federal criminal police office without any proofs. So I think, I have more personal experience with thinks like this than most other people here and I can tell the privacy commissioners and their staff were always very nice to me. I am not sure, how good their spoken English is and if it makes sense to phone them, but one of them told me, they even have quite a lot of contacts to African and other third world people due to the German laws concerning foreigners, whose English is ofter not better than their German so I don't think they should have any problems to understand you, when you write them a letter oder email.

-----------------
" "

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
bianca.janine
Frischling

Ok. Well, I'm in Berlin. I'll give them an e-mail anyways, just to see if the case applies or not. After all, I did commit a crime...

Best,
Bianca

-----------------
""

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
Rose12345
Frischling
(7 Beiträge, 1x hilfreich)

I face the same situation Bianca but my fine is more that yours . It’s 30*70 .also the police men took 500 euro already from me . Did u pay when u visited the police station . How did u resolve this guide me I don’t even live in Germany now . I received this letter in India .

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
Rose12345
Frischling

Can any one tell me how to pay fine when you live abroad ??? They haven’t even mentioned anything

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
!!Streetworker!!
Unbeschreiblich
(30226 Beiträge, 9521x hilfreich)

What kind of letter did you receive?
The 500 euros were a so-called "security deposit". This is taken by foreigners without residence in Germany, in the amount of the expected punishment. Usually it's done with it. But to be sure, I need to know what they wrote in that letter...

-- Editiert von !!Streetworker!! am 05.01.2018 08:22

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
Rose12345
Frischling

They say that I have a shoplifting case against me and I can appeal with in 2 weeks or have to pay the fine for 30 days each day 70 euro and there is no way they told how to pay it also I don’t know what to do sitting abroad
Thank you for your reply

Zitat (von !!Streetworker!! ):
What kind of letter did you receive?
The 500 euros were a so-called "security deposit". This is taken by foreigners without residence in Germany, in the amount of the expected punishment. Usually it's done with it. But to be sure, I need to know what they wrote in that letter...

-- Editiert von !!Streetworker!! am 05.01.2018 08:22

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
guest-12329.07.2021 13:57:37
Frischling
(2 Beiträge, 0x hilfreich)

the state prosecutor will send you the banking details after the decision has become final - which means after two weeks if you do not appeal

(I have sent you a personal notice as well

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
!!Streetworker!!
Unbeschreiblich

O.K., then you recievied a "Strafbefehl". They want you to pay 2100,00 EUR (the income of 1 month = 30 days).
They estimate your income at 2100 € per month (70,00 € per day).

What is your Job at the moment an your real income per month?

If you are able to proof that your real income is significant less than 2100 EUR per month it ist possible to reduce the punishment by a so called "beschränktem Einspruch" (confined appeal) within 2 week (that "Einspruch" must arrive at the court within 2 weeks)

If you dont want to make an appeal you just have to wait. You will get another letter with instructions how to pay. Due to the police took 500,00 from you, you must only pay 1.600 EUR. Is there something in the letter about the 500 EUR? If not, wait to see if there is something in the next letter. The 500 EUR must be credited in any case. But notice: If you want to make an appeal to reduce the punishment you must take action now. In that case, you can not wait for the next letter

regards

1x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
Moderator1
Schüler
(242 Beiträge, 112x hilfreich)

Zitat:
I have sent you a personal notice as well

And be careful with people who send you private messages, especially if these people are member only since 1 day here (only one posting written). There is a lot of fraud on the way.

@Fragender 73123

Ist nicht böse gemeint und ich will auch nichts unterstellen, aber "Neumitglieder" die gleich am ersten Tag ausländischen Hilfesuchenden PNs senden, hatten wir hier schon mal. Kam nichts gutes dabei raus. Da klingeln dann ein paar Alarmglocken.

1x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
Rose12345
Frischling

Thank you so much , but how do I appeal from my country ? Can you guide me on this

quote=!!Streetworker!! ]O.K., then you recievied a "Strafbefehl". They want you to pay 2100,00 EUR (the income of 1 month = 30 days).
They estimate your income at 2100 € per month (70,00 € per day).

What is your Job at the moment an your real income per month?

If you are able to proof that your real income is significant less than 2100 EUR per month it ist possible to reduce the punishment by a so called "beschränktem Einspruch" (confined appeal) within 2 week (that "Einspruch" must arrive at the court within 2 weeks)

If you dont want to make an appeal you just have to wait. You will get another letter with instructions how to pay. Due to the police took 500,00 from you, you must only pay 1.600 EUR. Is there something in the letter about the 500 EUR? If not, wait to see if there is something in the next letter. The 500 EUR must be credited in any case. But notice: If you want to make an appeal to reduce the punishment you must take action now. In that case, you can not wait for the next letter

regards

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
!!Streetworker!!
Unbeschreiblich

Zitat:
but how do I appeal from my country ?

You can do that by letter or Telefax (I can help with that).

But it only makes sense if your income is well(!) below 2100 euros per month and you can proof that (with a salary statement or certificate from the company you work for)

Therefore again the question: What is your proofable income per month at the moment?

You have to send a salary statement from your job with the appeal if it should be successful. Without that there will be no chance.

-- Editiert von !!Streetworker!! am 06.01.2018 13:36

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
Rose12345
Frischling

My salary is 1252 euro . Also how can I get clearance once I pay the fine . If I pay from abroad .

Zitat (von !!Streetworker!! ):
Zitat:
but how do I appeal from my country ?

You can do that by letter or Telefax (I can help with that).

But it only makes sense if your income is well(!) below 2100 euros per month and you can proof that (with a salary statement or certificate from the company you work for)

Therefore again the question: What is your proofable income per month at the moment?

You have to send a salary statement from your job with the appeal if it should be successful. Without that there will be no chance.

-- Editiert von !!Streetworker!! am 06.01.2018 13:36

1x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
!!Streetworker!!
Unbeschreiblich

You must write a letter and send it within 2 weeks to the court (the letter must arrive at the court withn2 weeks from the date you receive your letter, so you send it better by Telefax)

The Letter:

Zitat:
Your Name
Your Adress

(Adress of the court)
Amtsgericht (city of the court)
-Strafabteilung-
Street, No
City
Telefax-Number: 0049..........

Betrifft: Beschränkter Einspruch gegen den Strafbefehl mit dem Aktenzeichen xx Cs xxxx Js xxxxx/xx (you must use your "Aktenzeichen" here)

Sehr geeehrte Damen und Herren,

gegen den oben genannten Strafbefehl lege ich hiermit

EINSPRUCH

ein. Den Einspruch beschränke ich auf die Höhe des einzelnen Tagessatzes [§ 411, Abs. 1, Satz 3 StPO ] und bitte um Entscheidung im Beschlusswege, da ich mich nicht in Deutschland aufhalte.

Mein Einkommen beträgt aktuell 1252,00 Euro monatlich. Eine Gehaltsabrechnung habe ich beigefügt. Ich bitte daher darum die Höhe des Tagessatzes auf 40,00 Euro abzusenken. Weiterhin bitte ich darum, bei der späteren Vollstreckung zu berücksichtigen, dass ich bereits bei der Polizei seinerzeit einen Betrag von 500,00 Euro als Sicherheitsleistung gezahlt habe.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Date, Your Signature

This letter you must send to the court together with your newest salary statement. You will receive the decision on the complaint in a few weeks. You do not have to pay before.

In the best case you will receive a letter, that you should pay only 1200 EUR (30 "Tagessätze" á 40,00 Euros = 1.200). Minus of the 500.00 Euros you have paid to the police, then you still have to pay only 700.00 Euros.

-- Editiert von !!Streetworker!! am 07.01.2018 02:29

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
Rose12345
Frischling

Thank you so much for all this help
If I send them my salary statement will they contact my company ?
Because i don’t want any trouble from them if an enquiry come there will be problem for me in my work place .

[lquote=!!Streetworker!! ]You must write a letter and send it within 2 weeks to the court (the letter must arrive at the court withn2 weeks from the date you receive your letter, so you send it better by Telefax)

The Letter:

Zitat:
Your Name
Your Adress

(Adress of the court)
Amtsgericht (city of the court)
-Strafabteilung-
Street, No
City
Telefax-Number: 0049..........

Betrifft: Beschränkter Einspruch gegen den Strafbefehl mit dem Aktenzeichen xx Cs xxxx Js xxxxx/xx (you must use your "Aktenzeichen" here)

Sehr geeehrte Damen und Herren,

gegen den oben genannten Strafbefehl lege ich hiermit

EINSPRUCH

ein. Den Einspruch beschränke ich auf die Höhe des einzelnen Tagessatzes [§ 411, Abs. 1, Satz 3 StPO ] und bitte um Entscheidung im Beschlusswege, da ich mich nicht in Deutschland aufhalte.

Mein Einkommen beträgt aktuell 1252,00 Euro monatlich. Eine Gehaltsabrechnung habe ich beigefügt. Ich bitte daher darum die Höhe des Tagessatzes auf 40,00 Euro abzusenken. Weiterhin bitte ich darum, bei der späteren Vollstreckung zu berücksichtigen, dass ich bereits bei der Polizei seinerzeit einen Betrag von 500,00 Euro als Sicherheitsleistung gezahlt habe.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Date, Your Signature

This letter you must send to the court together with your newest salary statement. You will receive the decision on the complaint in a few weeks. You do not have to pay before.

In the best case you will receive a letter, that you should pay only 1200 EUR (30 "Tagessätze" á 40,00 Euros = 1.200). Minus of the 500.00 Euros you have paid to the police, then you still have to pay only 700.00 Euros.

-- Editiert von !!Streetworker!! am 07.01.2018 02:29

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
Rose12345
Frischling

Please advise me should I send them my salary slip or not I converted again my salary is 900 euro for the month of December . But if I send them my salary slip I don’t want them to contact my office , as I might lose my job coz of this matter .

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Von 
!!Streetworker!!
Unbeschreiblich

No, they won't. They only want to see how much money do you earn.

0x Hilfreiche Antwort

Und jetzt?

Für jeden die richtige Beratung, immer gleich gut.
Schon 267.777 Beratungen
Anwalt online fragen
Ab 30
Rechtssichere Antwort in durchschnittlich 2 Stunden
108.220 Bewertungen
  • Keine Terminabsprache
  • Antwort vom Anwalt
  • Rückfragen möglich
  • Serviceorientierter Support
Anwalt vor Ort
Persönlichen Anwalt kontaktieren. In der Nähe oder bundesweit.
  • Kompetenz und serviceoriente Anwaltsuche
  • mit Empfehlung
  • Direkt beauftragen oder unverbindlich anfragen
Alle Preise inkl. MwSt. zzgl. 5€ Einstellgebühr pro Frage.

Jetzt Anwalt dazuholen.

Für 60€ beurteilt einer unserer Partneranwälte diese Sache.

• Antwort vom Anwalt
  • Innerhalb 24 Stunden
  • Nicht zufrieden? Geld zurück!
  • Top Bewertungen
Ja, jetzt Anwalt dazuholen